About the British Columbia Historical Federation

The British Columbia Historical Association was established on October 12,  1922, and on March 2, 1927, the Association was registered under the Societies Act. It was renamed the British Columbia Historical Federation on July 29, 1983 — a name that better reflects its role as an umbrella organization for provincial historical societies. The Federation is a non–profit organization registered as a charitable society under the Income Tax Act.

The British Columbia Historical Federation encourages interest in the history of British Columbia through research, presentation, and support in its role as an umbrella organization for provincial historical societies.

The Honourable Judith Guichon, OBC Lieutenant Governor of BC

Honorary Patron: The Honourable Judith Guichon, OBC

Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia
Government House, 1401 Rockland Avenue, Victoria V8S 1V9

Historical Notes

E.K. (Ned) De Beck, Clerk of the House (1949-1973), made the President’s gavel from maple wood that came from the colonial legislature buildings often referred to as The Birdcages (1860-1898). When this gavel was presented to the Federation is unknown.

Another mystery – what happened to the first gavel? According to the 1929 BCHA Report, “The Hon. Mr. Justice Martin presented the Association with a gavel made from the wood of the steamer Beaver, the first steamer to traverse the waters of the Pacific Ocean.”

BCHF Past Patrons and Presidents BCHF on Wikipedia