Submit Content to British Columbia History Magazine
British Columbia History accepts voluntary submissions of feature articles, as well as articles, photos and book review suggestions for our regular sections.
Please send all submissions and queries to Andrea Lister, Editor, email@example.com, unless otherwise noted.
We publish approximately 30 feature articles each year on topics related to the social, economic, political, intellectual and/or cultural history of British Columbia.
Our submissions come from writers, academics and professionals from across the province. Submissions may include, but are not limited to, feature-length articles, documentary selections, essays, pictorial essays, memoirs and reviews.
Word count for feature articles is 1,000-3,000 words, plus a selection of images. Please ensure your submission meets our submission guidelines for articles and images.
For more information, see the Important Notes section below.
We welcome submissions to the following regular sections of British Columbia History:
- Archives & Archivists: Are you an archivist with a story to tell? Send us your archives-related story about a key collection or service, new digitization project, upcoming event or other exciting initiative. Word count for this section is 500-600 words plus three images OR up to 900 words plus one or two images. Be sure your submission follows our submission guidelines for articles and images.
- Book Reviews: Got a great book on BC history that others should know about? Send it to us and we may review it in the magazine. We accept a broad range of books related to BC history, including books representing various genres, interest areas and regions, and books from individuals and small presses. Send one copy of the book to Jane Watt, Book Reviews Editor. Due to space and editorial considerations, not all books received may be reviewed.
- Cabinets of Curiousity: Do you have an object with a peculiar or noteworthy story in your personal collection? Send us the story and we may publish it in our magazine. Include one or two photos of the object, along with 300-400 words on what makes the object interesting, meaningful or unique. Please ensure your submission follows our submission guidelines for articles and images.
- History in Context: Show us how times have changed — send a snapshot of an old photograph set in the present context, and your image could appear on the magazine’s back page (view samples). Include information about where the photo was taken, who/what is depicted, and why the scene is important to you or your community. Please ensure your photo follows our submission guidelines for articles and images.
- Manuscripts that have been published elsewhere, or are under review for publication elsewhere, will be considered at the editor’s discretion.
- Every year, usually in the spring, we publish a special theme issue. For information about upcoming themes, view our editorial calendar.
- Our editorial team works with set copy deadlines and must often finalize content six months or more in advance of publication. For more information, view our editorial calendar.
- Our editorial team makes every effort to respond to all submission enquiries; however, our magazine operates with a small part-time staff and it may take some time for us to get back to you.
- We welcome questions and feedback at any time. Please contact us.