The BCHF — comprised of over 100 member societies — believes that support for the diverse history of this province is an election issue.
Our Step Up for History 2018 local government election outreach campaign is intended to get voters and politicians talking about the importance of history to local communities. We want to celebrate and support the work of the not-for-profits that steward our historical buildings, our cultural landscapes, and the wealth of stories and documents that sustain them.
We encourage our members and supporters to participate in our Step Up for History campaign by by completing the steps below. (Participation is voluntary. We encourage participants to complete the “Engage Candidates” section at minimum.)
- Print the official campaign outreach brief (pdf).
- Attend an all-candidates’ meeting in your area.
- “Step Up for history” and ask the candidates one or more of the questions from the outreach brief.
Use our email template (pdf) to engage candidates by email at your convenience.
Record the Results:
- Record candidates’ answers and your impressions on the outreach brief.
- Take a selfie or a photo of the candidates, if possible.
Share your Experience:
Share your experience in one or more of the following ways:
- BCHF web site: Send a summary of your experience, your completed brief/emailed responses, and/or your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will post submissions on our Campaign News & Results page as a collective repository of our election outreach efforts.
- Social media: Post your comments/photo(s) with the hashtag #stepupforhistory.
- Print media: Send a summary of your experience and/or your completed brief/emailed responses to your local newspaper.
Review the Campaign Results:
We will post submissions and updates on our Campaign News & Results page. Check back often, and send us the results of your outreach efforts to share!