Heritage BC has released the first provincial heritage Watch List to draw attention to a range of at-risk places that are significant to the historic and cultural fabric of British Columbia. The sites, chosen by a panel of sector professionals, represent six areas of concern that face heritage conservation throughout BC.
The Watch List identifies sites that are currently affected by the threat of inappropriate alterations, neglect or demolition. These places contribute to the identity and story of community and place, as well as the legacy of British Columbia. Representing broad categories of threatened heritage, the sites stand as examples of the many other historic places facing similar threats.
The categories and sites on the 2018 Watch List are:
- Institutional Heritage: Fairmont Academy, Vancouver
- Post War, Modern or Twentieth Century Heritage: Vancouver Public Library Collingwood Branch
- Industrial Heritage: Morden Colliery, Morden Colliery Historic Provincial Park, Vancouver Island
- Schools: Victoria High School, Victoria
- Churches: First Presbyterian Church, Prince Rupert
- Vernacular Heritage: Turner House or Cruikshank Residence, Abbotsford