The Vancouver Japanese Language School and Japanese Hall have been designated a National Historic Site. Founded in 1906, the school was the first and largest of 50 schools operating before the Second World War.
By the 1920s, the student population had outgrown the original school, so a replacement was designed by the firm of Sharp and Thompson (also the architects of UBC Point Grey Campus and the Burrard Street Bridge). In 1928, the building was completed as a high school while the 1906 schoolhouse was used for elementary grades. The school also doubled as a Japanese Hall.