Become a Member Society
For Historical Societies
If you are a not-for-profit historical society with dues-paying members based in British Columbia, we invite you to join the British Columbia Historical Federation (BCHF).
The BCHF provides a collective voice for more than 100 historical societies from all corners of British Columbia. Our membership encompasses over 1,000 individuals and organizations within BC’s not-for-profit historical sector.
For your society:
- Complimentary annual subscription to British Columbia History magazine
- Group rates on insurance products from our partner Westland Insurance, including
- exclusive rates on Directors and Officers Liability Insurance:
- special rates on general liability insurance, event insurance, property insurance and more.
- Subscription to our e-newsletter, the BCHF Buzz, packed with programs, events, funding and learning opportunities, and best practices from BC’s not-for-profit historical sector.
- Special advertising rates in British Columbia History magazine and the Buzz e-newsletter.
- Opportunity to participate in our Multi-Subscription Program — earn free advertising space in British Columbia History magazine while offering your members reduced subscription rates to the magazine.
- Listing in our Membership Directory, a public, searchable database of historical societies and affiliated organizations across BC.
- Share your events, activities and successes with BCHF members through our e-newsletter and web blog.
- Nominate members of your society for prestigious BCHF awards, including our News & Media Award and Certificates of Recognition.
- Attend our annual conference – BC’s not-for-profit historical networking event of the year – or host a future conference in your area.
For your dues-paying members:
- Reduced rates on subscriptions to British Columbia History magazine through our popular, optional Multi-Subscription Program. This program also earns your society free advertising space in British Columbia History magazine!
- Group rates on personal insurance products – including home insurance, travel medical insurance and flexible retirement benefits – from our partner Johnson Insurance.
- Option to nominate children or grandchildren for the Johnson Scholarship Program.
Terms and Fees
- Annual membership fee: $1 per dues-paying member of your society, from a minimum of $30 per year (30 members or less) to a maximum of $75 per year (75 members or more).
- Membership term: One calendar year, staring on January 1 and ending on December 31.
- All dues-paying members of your society are considered members of the British Columbia Historical Federation for the duration of your society’s membership.
- You must maintain and promote objectives consistent with those of the BCHF. Read our Constitution and Bylaws.
Join or Renew
You may join or renew online or by mail: