The largest artifact in the City of Richmond’s collection — the No. 1220 Interurban tram car — is set for restoration, and you can follow the work as it progresses.
The No. 1220 Interurban tram car, now housed in the Steveston Interurban Tram Building at 4011 Moncton Street, will be restored to appear as it did during the years it ran on the Marpole-Steveston line from 1913 to 1958.
The Interurban tram cars were an important part of Richmond’s economic and social history. Residents rode the passenger cars to get to school and work, and to visit sites like the racetracks. The Interurbans stopped running in 1958 after road-based transportation eclipsed rail travel. At that time, most of the Interurban tramcars were destroyed. Only seven remain today, including the No. 1220.
Restoration in action
Restoration is a long and complex process that will involve preserving original materials and details of the car, as well as creating reproductions of features that no longer exist. On September 19, 2016, restoration work began on the “trucks” — the undercarriage and wheels that pivot at each end of the car. The trucks will be moved by crane, then cleaned and painted.
Next, the car’s interior lights and headlights will be restored to working order. Exterior restoration of the car’s roof and body will then take place, followed by restoration of the interior finishes.
Visitors are welcome to view the restoration and participate in specially planned activities that will take place during open hours.
For more information on the restoration project, including restoration updates from behind-the-scenes, visit:
- the Steveston Tram Building, located at 4011 Moncton Street in Richmond, BC
- the Steveston Interurban Tram web page
- Facebook @StevestonInterurbanTram
- Twitter @StevestonTram (#StevestonTram).
Note that due to safety precautions, there may be times when access to the tram car is limited.
Submission courtesy of the City of Richmond Museum & Heritage Services.