Constitution & Bylaws
The British Columbia Historical Federation
Organized October 12, 1922, as “The British Columbia Historical Association” and registered under the Societies Act, March 2, 1927.
Change of name Registered under the Society Act, July 29,1983.
1. The name of the society is THE BRITISH COLUMBIA HISTORICAL FEDERATION.
2. The purposes of the Federation are:
(1) to promote the preservation and marking of historical sites, relics, natural features, and other objects and places of historical interest; and
(2) to stimulate public interest, and to encourage historical research, in British Columbia history;
(3) to publish historical sketches, studies, and documents.
3. The operations of the Federation are to be carried on chiefly within the Province of British Columbia.
4. The purposes of the Federation shall be carried out without purpose of gain for its members and any profits and other accretions to the Federation shall be used for promoting its purposes. This article is unalterable.
5. In the event of winding up or dissolution of the Federation, any funds of the Federation remaining after the satisfaction of its debts and liabilities, shall be given or transferred to such organizations promoting the same object of this Federation as may be determined by the members of the Federation at the time of winding up or dissolution, and if effect cannot be given to the aforesaid provisions, then such funds shall be given or transferred to some other organization, provided that such organization referred to in this paragraph shall be a registered charity recognized by the Department of National Revenue, Taxation, as qualified as such under the provisions of the Income Tax Act of Canada from time to time in effect.
View bylaws (PDF), amended May 2009.
View regulations under bylaw 38 (PDF), amended May 2009.