W. Kaye Lamb Award for the Best Student Essays
Each year, the British Columbia Historical Federation offers two W. Kaye Lamb Scholarships for student essays relating to the history of British Columbia.
- Lower prize for a student in the 1st or 2nd year is $750
- Upper prize for a student in the 3rd or 4th year is $1,000
The essay must be written by a student registered in a university or college in British Columbia.
The winning essays, and other submissions, may be published, at the editor’s discretion, in the Federation’s quarterly magazine, British Columbia History. The winning authors have the opportunity to work with the British Columbia History editor to prepare the essay for publication. This is a valuable opportunity for those who are looking gain experience transitioning academic papers into magazine/journal articles.
Notice of the winning essays will be posted in the British Columbia Historical Federation’s publications.
How to Enter
Candidates must submit their application for this scholarship by December 31
A covering letter of application providing: Name, Postal Address, e-Address, College or University, Student Year, Name of supervising instructor, and an explanation in 300 words or less:
- why you are interested in British Columbia history,
- why you chose your topic,
- and any future plans to continue studies of British Columbia history
2. A letter of recommendation from the instructor for whose course the essay was written:
3. An essay of 1500-3000 words for 1st or 2nd year or 1500-5000 words for 3rd or 4th year students on a topic relating to the history of British Columbia.
4. BCHF reserves the right not to award a prize in a given year should applications not be of sufficient quality.
Use the online form below, or submit the covering letter of application, the letter of reference from your instructor and three printed copies of your essay to:
W. Kaye Lamb Essay Scholarship
℅ BC Historical Federation,
PO Box 448, Fort Langley, BC, Canada, V1M 2R7
Johnson Inc. Scholarship Program
The BCHF’s corporate member, Johnson Inc. offers 50 scholarships each valued at $1,000 to students attending a post-secondary educational institution in Canada in the fall of each year.
Completed application forms must be submitted by August 31. Visit Johnson Inc. for more information.