W. Kaye Lamb Award for the Best Student works
Each year, the British Columbia Historical Federation offers two W. Kaye Lamb Scholarships for student works relating to the history of British Columbia.
- Lower prize for a student in the 1st or 2nd year is $750
- Upper prize for a student in the 3rd or 4th year is $1,000
The work — on a topic related to the history of BC — must be written by a student registered in a university or college in British Columbia.
NEW — The work may be presented in a variety of media including:
- Essay (1500-3000 words)
- Video or film
- Performance (please supply recording)
- Artwork or installation
The winning submissions may be published, at the editor’s discretion, in the Federation’s quarterly magazine, British Columbia
on the BCHF website, or shown at the BCHF conference.
The winning authors have the opportunity to work with the British Columbia History editor or web editor to prepare the essay for publication. This is a valuable opportunity for those who are looking gain experience transitioning academic papers into magazine/journal articles, blogs or multi-media platforms.
Notice of the winning works will be posted in the British Columbia Historical Federation’s publications.
How to Enter
Candidates must submit their application for this scholarship by December 31
A covering letter of application providing: Name, Postal Address, e-Address, College or University, Student Year, Name of supervising instructor, and an explanation in 300 words or less:
- why you are interested in British Columbia history,
- why you chose your topic,
- and any future plans to continue studies of British Columbia history
Letter of recommendation
A letter of recommendation from the instructor for whose course the work was written.
- An essay of 1500-3000 words for 1st or 2nd year or 1500-5000 words for 3rd or 4th year students on a topic relating to the history of British Columbia; or
- A website or podcast created by the student, including copy that is researched and written by the student; or
- A performance either created or directed by the student; or
- An artwork; or
- A video, film, documentary, or multimedia installation created by the student.
Note: BCHF reserves the right not to award a prize in a given year should applications not be of sufficient quality.
Use the online form below, or submit the covering letter of application, the letter of reference from your instructor and three printed copies of your essay to:
W. Kaye Lamb Essay Scholarship
℅ BC Historical Federation,
PO Box 448, Fort Langley, BC, Canada, V1M 2R7
Johnson Inc. Scholarship Program
The BCHF’s corporate member, Johnson Inc. offers 50 scholarships each valued at $1,000 to students attending a post-secondary educational institution in Canada in the fall of each year.
Completed application forms must be submitted by August 31. Visit Johnson Inc. for more information.