Our spring 2018 special issue on schools and schoolhouses is crammed with more information than a late-night study session!
Issue 51.1 — “Stories of Schools in BC” — includes 11 feature articles celebrating schools and school experiences in Bloedel, Clinton, Cortes Island, Cranbrook, Duncan, Gray Creek, Kimberley, Nanaimo, Surrey, Vancouver, Victoria and more. The cover features a beautiful watercolour sketch of Vancouver’s Tecumseh School by artist Jo Scott-B.
Here’s a sampling of the stories that await you:
- The evolution of BC’s common school system in the Colony of Vancouver Island.
- Memories from one-room school houses in the 1930s: Lill Emerson recounts her time as a young teacher in the isolated logging camp of Bloedel, while Tom Lymbery shares memories from his days as a student in Gray Creek.
- Vancouver’s Carleton School and its involvement in the Canadian civilian effort during World War II.
- An oral history of TechBC, Surrey’s forgotten university, told through the voices of former students.
- A look back at the publications of the BC Historical Federation.
- A post-modern “Cabinet of Curiosity” created — on Facebook — by students celebrating their school’s history.
For more information, or to subscribe, visit British Columbia History magazine.