The Royal British Columbia Museum and Archives has announced that they will need to close the Reference Room of the BC Archives until an undetermined date in 2021.
This closure has an wide-reaching impact on the ability of British Columbians to undertake research and complete important work. Access to the BC Archives is fundamental to our democracy.
We are helping the Friends of the BC Archives to learn of specific examples of how this is affecting your work, or that of your organization.
We hope that many voices around the province might prompt the BC Archives to reverse its decision and open the reading room in a safe manner sooner than an undetermined date in 2021.
If you have an example of how closure of the Reference Room will impact you/your work, please share by completing the form on the FBCA website, or by using #BCArchivesClosure on social media.
- Read the BCHF’s open letter to the Premier
- Read the Friends of the BC Archives’ statement
- Read the Canadian Historical Association’s statement
- Read the open letter from Chairs from the Departments of History at the University of Victoria, University of BC, University of Northern BC, and Simon Fraser University
- Listen to BCHF Past President Jane Watt on CFAX radio
- Listen to UVic History Chair John Lutz on CFAX radio