Conference Field Trips
THURSDAY, JUNE 6 — Explore Comox Air Force Museum
2:00—4:00 pm you can tour the Comox Heritage Air Park.
FRIDAY, JUNE 7 — we will be bussing to Cumberland, where we will have time to explore Cumberland and enjoy lunch in one of its many downtown restaurants.
Between 2:00 and 4:00 pm, four tours will be offered by the Cumberland Museum:
- Tour 1: Old Townsites including #1 Japantown and Chinese Townsite (uneven ground, gravel paths)
- Tour 2: Cumberland Museum Tour
- Tour 3: Historic Downtown (uneven ground)
- Tour 4: Choice of self-guided tours
SATURDAY, JUNE 8 — Tours in Courtenay
From 1:30-3:30 enjoy one of the following afternoon tours:
- Tour One: Explore ancient fossils, led by the Courtenay Museum
- An informative guide will give a brief lecture and show a short video about the famous discoveries made in the local area. Then, it’s a tour of the exhibit galleries to see the actual specimens and reconstructed casts of the Puntledge elasmosaur, the tylosaurus and other discoveries from local rivers and shorelines. A short 10 minute drive and an easy 5 minute forested walk brings you to one of the many beautiful fossil sites along local rivers.
- Tour Two: Discover the natural and human history of the Courtenay River Estuary, organized by the Courtenay Museum
- Tour Three: Take a bus to the Filberg House, Comox
- Tour Four: A choice of self-guided tour of historic downtown Courtenay
SUNDAY, JUNE 9 — end the conference with a cemetery tour
If you have some time to spare, enjoy an informal tour of local cemeteries.